ORNL and ORISE are continuing this partnership with the Next Generation STEM Internship Program (NEXTGENS). NEXTGENS provides opportunities for rising juniors and seniors attending high schools in Anderson, Blount, Knox, Loudon and Roane counties to participate in STEM or STEM-related projects with scientists and engineers at ORNL. The eight-week internship begins on June 1 and selected participants receive a stipend of $400 per week for 40 hours of participation. A maximum of five days without stipend may be missed during the appointment period, if necessary, for other commitments.
To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident at the time of application
- Be a rising junior or senior and in good standing at an accredited high school in Anderson, Blount, Knox, Roane or Loudon county
- Be at least 16 years of age by the time of appointment
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Provide proof of health insurance coverage
- Complete a Zintellect application and acquire recommendations from a current STEM teacher and principal
Electronic applications must be submitted through the Zintellect application system and are due by February 7, 2020.